Thursday, February 15, 2007

Enterprise Manager Packages Licensing Information Part II

A few weeks ago I have already posted about the licensing agreements for the Oracle 10g Enterprise Manager Packages.
I have pointed out that you use these packages implicitly if you even do not use Enterprise Manager at all, but only
- run certain scripts from $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/
or
- call certain procedures from certain packages
and so on
Pls see my first post about this for a detailed list of functionalities which use these packages implictily..

Just recently I received a comment on this post by Russel who asked about ADDM in Standard Edition, which made me wonder..
First of all I looked up the licensing information in the Online Ducumentation where I found the Table 1-1 Feature Availability for Oracle Database Editions which shows me:


Feature/Option SE1 SE EE Notes

Manageability






Oracle Change Management Pack

N

N


Y

Extra cost option

Oracle Configuration Management Pack

N

N


Y

Extra cost option

Oracle Diagnostic Pack

N

N


Y

Extra cost option

Oracle Tuning Pack

N

N


Y

Extra cost option, also requires the Diagnostic Pack

Duplexed backup sets

N

N


Y


Database Resource Manager

N

N


Y



The Documentations explains to us the following about Table 1-1:
Table 1-1 lists feature availability for Oracle Database Standard Edition One (SE1), Standard Edition (SE), and Enterprise Edition (EE). The Y value in a column means that the feature is available in the specified release; N means that it is unavailable. This table can help you understand the difference between the editions and determine whether you require Enterprise Edition (or Personal Edition for a single-user environment).

Russel had asked in his comment about addmrpt.sql script for Standard Edition.
So I have installed SE under Linux and found out to my surprise that all the Enterprise functionalites where there ADDM, AWR, all the Enterprise Manager Packages which are not available, as the docu says. They were all in place and functionable in SE!
So I called Oracle support and here is what I was told:

SE has the same code base as EE, and all the EE-functionalities are also working in SE, they are even used by ORACLE internally for self tuning ,
BUT,
you are not allowed to use them.

And now you maybe should look at my first post again in order to find out what is not allowed and what brings you in danger od needing even not only an additional license for the packages but, also you might need a license for Enterprise Edition on top because the packages which are not available as of the Docu, but which are in place and functionable, and are implicitly used if you just klick to one little link in the browser or call just one procedure or run only the wrong skript from $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin, are not combinable with an SE license.

The nice new functionality called database usage statistics high water marks will let you and everyone who can look at it know, which feature was used in the past and how often and so forth:
Haved a look at DBA_FEATURE_USAGE_STATISTICS and you will know if you already need a license for Enterprise Edition.


Thanks a lot for asking Russel!!!!
I was not aware of this.

6 Comments:

At Thu Feb 15, 04:52:00 PM, Anonymous Fernando Andrade said...

Well it seems like one day in the future you can get audited by Oracle and you have to pay extra just for managing the database with OEM DBCcontrol.
For me sounds like a trap.
confuse de DBA with ADDM/AWR/.. as killer 10g new features and then make de company pay.
Even though I have read the message tha appears when you enter OEM at first time, it confuse me that all the funtionallity is there.
The param STATISTICS_LEVEL is TYPICAL in all versions and seem like the only way to disable this feautres (not the best).
For my is licensing madness as usual at Oracle.

 
At Thu Feb 15, 05:04:00 PM, Blogger lutz_hartmann said...

Hi Fernando,
I totally agree with you!
I was so happy to find someone at least who was able to tell me the exact licensing details from INSIDE ORACLE.
=.-(
Lutz

 
At Tue Feb 20, 07:28:00 AM, Blogger Edgar said...

Some time ago Niall Litchfield even created Online Petition, to request that all EM Packs would be available at the same price, regardless of the Oracle edition.
This petition, currently, is signed by 140 persons already, but I guess, that Oracle will not take this into account. The online petition is available here: http://www.petitiononline.com/oraman/petition.html

edgar

 
At Tue Feb 20, 07:38:00 AM, Blogger lutz_hartmann said...

HI Edgar,
thanks for pointing out the petition to me, I did not know about it.

I was just so suprizes when I found out how easy it is to get into licensing problems.

I am not sure about how strict Oracle handles violations if they find out that you have used the packs holding only a standard edition license, but I guess I would not like to find out in real life.
=;-(

 
At Wed May 23, 08:25:00 AM, Blogger Peter said...

Hi lutz,

It's even funnier then you already found out.
Those same scripts are also available in SE1.
I've just checked on our development system, and I did find them there also.
And i've been using ADDM without knowing I had to pay for that.

I'll sign the petition, thanks for the information.

Peter

 
At Wed May 23, 08:35:00 AM, Blogger lutz_hartmann said...

Hi Peter, thanks for your comment. I think that you are not alone. There must be thousands of underlicensed by mistake.
By the way, I have moved my blog to http://sysdba.wordpress com a few months ago. You find all my posts there also and it would be much less work for me if you could leave your comments there.
Thanks for your understanding,
=;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home